I am filled with endless thoughts everyday about my beautiful stepdaughter. I wonder how she’s doing at school and if she’s making friends. I worry about others bullying her just because, I know the world is full of bullies. I pray she knows how much I love her, how much her dad loves her, how much her biomom loves her, and I pray she knows that she can love all of us without ever feeling guilt. I think about how she’s growing up and becoming a young lady and all the challenges she will face.
I wish I could protect her from the pains that come with growing up, but I can’t. She will have to feel some hurt and learn some lessons on her own. It’s part of life and growing up, but there are a few things I can ensure she knows and learns from me.
1. You Are Beautiful! Yes, hunny your face is beautiful, I look at you and see parts of your parents in you and some parts that are uniquely you, but you are more than a pretty face. You have a beautiful heart that bleeds for others at times. You are sensitive, soft, and full of love to give. The beauty within you is more important than your cute little ever-changing face. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
2. It’s Not Your Job To Make Others Happy. It’s tempting at times to take the weight of others unhappiness onto your shoulders, but don’t. My happiness is not your job. Dad’s happiness doesn’t depend on you. Your Biomom’s happiness is not up to you. Your friends & family should not expect you to make them happy. Others may try to blame you or lay guilt on you because, they are unhappy, but do not let them fool you! YOU my dear are only in charge of YOUR own happiness. If anyone ever tries to make you feel at fault or guilty for their sadness walk away, because that is not on you and those people will drain you of your own happiness.
3. You Can Never Love Too Many People. Your heart is capable of loving infinite people. Anyone who tries to tell you that you can’t love someone is full of crap. Don’t ever let anyone else tell you how you should feel. Love anyone who deserves your love without condition and remember that loving one person doesn’t take away from others you love.
4. Always Be You. You my little Noodle, my chicken nugget, my baby bear, my joke-telling-goofball, you are perfect. It’s hard sometimes to be brave enough to be YOU and standout, but do it anyway! Show the world your unique ways, share your passions, and be different. There are a million little lemmings out there following each other right off the cliff (eating tide pods and snorting things I can’t even wrap my head around) don’t be them! You are smart, brave, funny, and unique! Embrace your sense of self and let that shine! Never let anyone make you feel embarrassed for being you because YOU ARE AMAZING!
5. I Love You No Matter What. We might not always get along or agree on everything, but who does? Our life together has been perfectly imperfect and overflowing with laugher, good memories, love, new traditions, and never-ending adventures. We have grown close over the years and I love you as if you were my own child. We may not share DNA or eye color, but I share my heart with you.
No matter what anyone every tells you or what we go through I will always be there for you and love you with all my heart. I will always stand-up for you and have your back. I will forever keep your secrets and be a shoulder to cry on. I will probably get mad at you some days, but know that when I ground you for coming home late I will still love you. There’s a place in my heart reserved for you that will always be there no matter what. We are family. ❤️
The Little Stepmom